Follow us on social media

News Latest Sports News
28OctNo Comments
Double Varsity Success for Ulster
David Flynn October 28, 2014

Double Varsity Success for Ulster

Monday 27th October 2014 was the date that the Ulster Elks and the Ulster University men’s squad won double Intervarsity titles in Belfast.

First up was the Men’s squad, who faced Dublin Institute of Technology in the Mauritius Cup final.  The Ulster lads were somewhat in the ascendency throughout the first half but hadn’t made their pressure tell and against the run of play DIT took the lead.  Although Jason Lynch did have the ball in the net at one point the goal was disallowed and DIT went in ahead at the break.

A fight back in the second half saw the Ulster lads pull back two goals to get their noses in front.  However the lead was short lived and the Dubliners pinched an equaliser to take the game to golden-goal extra time.  With less than a minute into extra time James Lorimer despatched a penalty corner that took a deflection and ricocheted into the net to the jubilant celebrations of players and supporters alike.

The Ulster Elks, competing for the Chilean Cup, faced UCD who had dominated the tournament since 2009 when Ulster University last lifted the title.   One that occasion it took a Suman Bala strike in golden-goal extra time to separate the sides.  Skipping forward to present day and there was a determined and workman-like presence about the Elks side who got to business very quickly and raced to a two goal lead within the opening five minutes with both goals coming from Kirstie Lammey.

A shell-shocked UCD team fought back but were denied on numerous occasions by good goalkeeping and tight defending.  The Ulster girls punished the Dubliners for not making their chances count and Chloe Brown added a third.  UCD did notch one back before half time but then Lammey and Brown struck once again to make the score an incredible 5-1 at half time!

The second half was as equally energetic as the first and UCD looked as if they would mount a comeback scoring a second within minutes of the restart. However, as they pushed forward they became evermore exposed at the back and as the fixture game to a close Emily Bowker netted twice and Stacey Lee notched up the eighth.  On the final whistle UCD pulled one more back but it was scant consolation.  Final score 8-3.

A massive congratulations to all involved!! #theonlywayiselks #aintnosunshine